Sunday, July 31, 2011

Knitting in Public is Good Manners

Miss Manners defends knitting in public (mostly).

A disgruntled reader wrote in to ask, "Is it acceptable to knit at a church, synagogue or other religious service? And what about a concert or recital?"

Miss Manners replies, "Please do not -- repeat, not -- make a hostile approach to knitters. Have you not noticed that they are armed with long, pointy sticks? [Me: "Hee!"]

"Of all the multitaskers who could annoy you, Miss Manners would not have guessed that knitters would top the list. There is a centuries-long history of ladies quietly doing needlework while remaining alert to what was going on around them." [Me: "Exactly!"]

She goes on to give the writer the benefit of the doubt--maybe they were objecting to the noise knitting makes. (I highly doubt it. If you ask me they were just jealous that they didn't think to bring along something to keep their hands busy while their eyes and ears were occupied.)

I will fess up to bringing my knitting to church with me. Nobody's ever voiced an objection--in fact my pastor once told me it makes him feel warm and fuzzy to see people crafting while he's speaking. And I'm not the only one. There's a guy who brings along his embroidery hoop (he's in the SCA) most Sundays, which I think is awesome.

How about you? I know it's no big thing for most of us to knit on the bus or in a coffee shop, but do you bring your knitting to events where you'll be sitting and listening to someone else for a while? Do you think it's rude when I do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment