Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Can't See It

Briefly: This week's pattern is probably going to be baby socks, next week's pattern will be the striped baby dress if the testers finish on time, and Z is *thisclose* to crawling. Oh boy.

The first challenge for Project Yarnway is to knit (or crochet) something that "expresses who we are as a designer" (a familiar phrase, if you watch PR at all) using only yarn and needles that we already own. I have a decent stash, so that part isn't a problem. I had an idea of what I wanted to do, too. Mitts with a cabled squid on the backs. I've done cabled snakes, so how much more difficult could tentacles be?

Lots more, it turns out.

Squid Mitt

My difficulty is that I can't visualize how things will look before I knit them. Oh, sure, I can have a primitive idea--enough to use a yarnover if I want to make a hole and a cable if I want a twist--but I've got no clue how all those stitches stacked in rows will play with each other, even when I chart them out beforehand. This is why I can't design lace.

Look at the top of the mitt there. I couldn't have told you the pointy bit was going to look like that until I was at least a dozen rows past it. You can imagine how much fun this is when designing something from scratch. If I want to fix something, I won't know I want to fix it until I'm at the point where I've got to rip back TWELVE ROWS to do it.

Are there lessons for this sort of thing? Books? Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment