Friday, January 8, 2010

Thumbs Down

So, there I was, trucking along on these nifty convertible mittens, writing the pattern down as I went, all set to send it to test knitters just as soon as I finish the second mitten.

Wheee! I thought. Look at me! I may get a week's buffer after all!

And then it happened.

Green Mitts

I ran out of yarn.

So close. I finished the thumb flap with another color of Malabrigo. It couldn't have been more than a few yards. I even tried using the pieces that had originally tied the skein. Maybe if I hadn't used such a generous tail in my long-tail cast on? Maybe if I'd made the cuffs two rows shorter?

The only way to know for sure is to knit them again, and that would not only erase my one-week buffer (because I could knit them in a week, but I have no Malabrigo on hand and would have to order some), it would almost definitely set me BEHIND schedule, which would look pretty bad only three weeks in to the Pattern a Week project.

But my other options are:

  • Send the pattern out with pictures of these mittens, with a note to either have two skeins of Malabrigo on hand, or to not use the yarn I used; or

  • Send the pattern out with pictures of these mittens, but rewrite it to make the cuffs two rows shorter, thus creating a pattern that will not result in the same thing as the pictures.


And in either of those cases, unless I NEVER SHOW THE LEFT THUMB, it's going out with pictures that send the message: "The designer clearly did not think this one through."

AAAAARRRGGGHHH.

What would you do?

2 comments:

  1. a) Be creative and don't show the left thumb, this can be our secret

    b) Say that as written the pattern needs 2 skeins, but explain that's it's just a little bit of the second so if a capable knitter perhaps wants to not knit the last two rows of the cuff they may do it in 1

    c) They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, thank you! Your suggestion is so much better than anything I had in mind. I'm saved!

    ReplyDelete