Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Reasons I Feel Old

Green Mitts

1. Last Saturday I attended a Tupperware party.

1b. And purchased Tupperware.

2. My brother's girlfriend, who is a college student, was born after The Little Mermaid was in theaters.

The Little Mermaid is such a touchstone of my generation that when I once started singing "Part of Your World" on a bus*, by the time I got to "You want thingamabobs? I've got twenty", the entire bus had joined in.

Aside: I was listening to Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! recently, and one of the guests was Pixar's Pete Docter. He said something to the effect that Pixar's mission statement, in its early days, was to make something entirely unlike the Broadway-esque animated Disney films with songs about little towns. (I suspect he was referring to "Bonjour" from Beauty and the Beast.) And that upset me a bit, because while I think Pixar has turned out some wonderful movies (in particular Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, and Up), I love the Broadway-esque movies Disney was churning out when I was a girl. The Little Mermaid was the first of four really good ones in a row (the other three being Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King). And it was the music that made them good, not the plots or the characters (I mean, really, how many headstrong, stubborn teenagers who don't listen to reason or authority does the world need? < /rant. >

And bit by bit, the kids who were born after these movies were in theaters, the kids who have maybe never even seen them, much less committed their lyrics to memory, get a little older. Which means I do too.

3. Right now I'd like nothing so much as a nice pair of woolly slippers.

*Okay, it was a bus full of choir students. BUT STILL.

No comments:

Post a Comment