Monday, November 17, 2008

The Traveling Shawl

Traveling Shawl - New Hampshire (600 x 450)

(Photo by Deborah (jstdt3t)*, the knitter from New Hampshire.)

A couple of months ago I was browsing through the new groups on Ravelry and found one for this project--the Traveling Shawl. Its goal is for one knitter from each of the 50 states to knit a few rows on a pink lace shawl, which will then be raffled off to raise funds for Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

They didn't have an Iowa knitter yet, and it sounded like a good idea, so I signed up. In the information I sent to the organizer, when asked in whose honor I would be knitting, I answered, "This is not in honor or in memory of anyone in particular. It just seemed like a good idea."

Time passed. The shawl is currently making its way along the East Coast. It probably won't get to me until sometime next year. I'm not a very active poster, so I just drop in to check on the Traveling Shawl forum occasionally and see if there's a date set for Iowa yet. Most of the time I don't even think about it.

I was checking the blog today, and reading New Hampshire Deborah's in-honor-of statement (her niece and her grandmother, both cancer survivors), and I realized that since I signed up for the project, someone I know has been diagnosed with breast cancer. My great-aunt, to be specific.

You may all think of yourselves a little more highly as human beings now, because I'm sure that none of you would have had my first thought on realizing this, which was, "Oh, cool! I know someone with cancer now!"

(And I'm sure the forgiving among you will understand that what my tactless brain was trying to tell me was that this project will be a little more personal by the time the shawl gets to me. Which is neither here nor there in the long run--which is nobler, anyway, to do a good thing because you've got a personal reason to do it, or just because it's a good thing? I think it's a tie--but I digress.)

So, guys, pray for my Aunt Betty, and keep tabs on the Shawl's journey (I've got it linked on the left side of the page, too), and if you've got the means and the desire, consider buying a raffle ticket or two. (The donation page for Komen is a little wonky, but it will, if you're patient, eventually let you give them money.)

Love you all!




* Ravelry link. If you're not on Ravelry, you should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment