Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Blob

I'll admit that the previous post was inspired by a project that is causing me to go through more than my average number of knitting movies.

My sis-in-law, whose birthday was back in September *blushes in shame* said that she could really use a shawl, and after going through a few patterns that I'd sent her, picked out the Moebius shawl by DROPS design.

Sometime in October, I ordered the yarn and cast on. SIL wants a longer version, something she can tuck her elbows into. We measured and discovered that this would mean a length of 21 inches.

After going through my first 110-yard skein of wool, (which took most of one day, or one full viewing of Pride and Prejudice), I stopped to check the length. 4 inches. "Great!" I thought. "This is only going to take a little over 5 skeins. I'll have it done by the end of the week."

IMG_1642 Two weeks, four total skeins, and the entire Jane Austen oeuvre later, I measured again. 12 inches. Instead of getting my anticipated 4 inches of length per skein, I'm now only getting 3 inches per skein. The solution to this apparent contradiction is obvious: The shawl is eating the yarn.

(You'll notice it doesn't sit nicely for pictures, either. Ornery thing.)

Clearly I'm going to run out of movies before this thing is done. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment